Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Three Principles: Our Shared Humanity

The first time I heard Sydney Banks talk about the Three Principles nearly 26 years ago I was impacted. I began having insights that over the years have given me a quality of life that I had never imagined possible. I feel so blessed to have come across such a simple way to understand my life.  I am so grateful that it allowed me to develop deeply loving relationships with my wife and two children.  I can’t believe the career I have traveling the country to share with others this amazing gift.  And it is still mind-boggling that there is no end to learning how we all operate. As I sit here I am aware of the fact that whatever I think, I feel and experience.  This is true now in this moment, it has always been true, and will always be true.  And yet there have been, and continue to be, so many moments when I don’t realize this, and it seems like my feeling is caused by something or someone in the physical world. Yesterday as I was driving to town a car was tailgating me. I got really annoyed with this driver.  I was sure that his inconsiderate and unsafe driving was making me annoyed.  Every thought I had about this driver seemed to be true.  And I seemed to be justified in feeling the way I was because of how he was driving.  Seeing the Principles is a slippery thing for all of us.  Sometimes we see feeling as thought and sometimes we don’t.  It’s easy for all of us to lose sight of the fact that it is always and only our thinking that is creating what we feel.  The Three Principles are not three really good ideas.  The Three Principles of Thought, Consciousness, and Mind create from the inside-out each moment of our thinking-feeling connection.   Mind is the ultimate source that is creating all of life.  Thought is creating our constant flow of thinking.  Consciousness is what brings our thinking alive and allows us to have a sensory experience of life.  The Principles are always operating in us.  At moments we realize this and at moments we don’t.  And that is ok.  It keeps us all humble about this.  It puts us all on the same playing field, new-comer and old-timer alike.  This is simply our humanity.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post- I was introduced to the works of Sydney Banks when I was on Salt Spring Island a couple years ago. Experiencing an insight always makes me smile. It makes me think about what it would be like to be in a library where the fiction and non-fiction are all mixed together. That used to be the world I lived in! And thank you for graciously reminding me that it seems to be human nature to forget the 3 Principles at times. (I think adrenalin is like a big eraser- it can remove all wisdom in one swoop.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Titanium Wok - TITIA ART - TITIA ART, GOLF & KOMBERY
    TINIA ART is a high t fal titanium quality, high columbia titanium pants quality piece of art sia titanium from TITIA titanium earrings sensitive ears ART which combines the original resin pieces titanium nitride coating from Italy with the original

    ReplyDelete